In today’s episode of the Idea to Value Podcast, we speak with one of the most influential and prolific authors on the topics of marketing and creativity in the world, Seth Godin.
Seth Godin is one of the fathers of online and email marketing, and has blogged every day for decades. His blog has thousands of posts, he has written over 20 bestselling books, and his views are respected around the world. His newest book is “The Song of Significance: A Manifesto for Teams and the People Who Lead Them“, about how we can all find work which is both more valuable and more meaningful.
Topics discussed in today’s episode:
- 00:02:45 – Showing up to create, and how the format of the media influences what he creates
- 00:05:45 – You need to figure out who you are working for. Seth does not write his blog for advertisers
- 00:07:45 – The smallest viable audience gives you freedom
- 00:09.45 – Is it worth trying to convince skeptics of your ideas. Shun the non-believers. The value of facts vs stories
- 00:12:15 – The Song of Significance: What is the best job you ever had?
- 00:14:30 – Seth’s view on Elon Musk and how to approach innovation in the world
- 00:18:00 – The difference between managers and leaders, and how everyone can be a leader
- 00:22:15 – Teams engage in mutual leadership. Teams can make significance
- 00:25:00 – The story of Aravind Eye Hospitals, and how they enable their people to make a difference
- 00:27:15 – How people have been taught to not feel creative or significant, and what needs to chance in the system
- 00:29:15 – How to change your situation at work to become more significant
- 00:31:45 – The resistance to changing themselves which so many people feel, and how to overcome it
- 00:34:30 – How to get enrollment from other team members
- 00:36:45 – How to ask questions to create a vision for what to do next
- 00:39:30 – Real creativity is a generous act
Links mentioned in today’s episode:
Creativity & Innovation expert: I help individuals and companies build their creativity and innovation capabilities, so you can develop the next breakthrough idea which customers love. Chief Editor of Ideatovalue.com and Founder / CEO of Improvides Innovation Consulting. Coach / Speaker / Author / TEDx Speaker / Voted as one of the most influential innovation bloggers.